The studies reveal, among women who had never smoked women with gum diseases had a 6% higher risk than women who didn’t have diseases. Breast cancer is caused by uncontrolled division of abnormal cells resulting in the formation of a tumor. The treatment of breast cancer can cause some serious side effects so the professionals should be prepared to help the patient maintain the oral health and remove the negative sign and symptoms.
The cancer patients have a high risk of oral complications because of a number of reasons. The cancer patient treatment slows down the growth of new cells, the anti-cancer treatment stops the growth of normal cells in the mouth and the radiation and chemotherapy can change the lining of the mouth and salivary glands which make saliva. This will upset the balance of healthy bacteria in the mouth.
ORAL SIDE EFFECTS OF BREAST CANCER TREATMENT
- Dry mouth _ due to decrease in saliva the patient has a dry mouth. This condition causes discomfort speaking difficulty and increased risk of cavities and come diseases.
- Ulcers _ sometimes patient suffers from painful ulcers making eating and talking very challenging. Proper care is required to manage these ulcers.
- Change in taste _ the treatment therapy can alter the sense of taste, making food very unpleasant.
- Mucositis it is the inflammation and ulceration of the lining of the mouth.
- Easy bleeding in the mouth
- Pain and jaw stiffness. These problems will lead to malnutrition and dehydration as the patient cannot eat and drink properly.
There is a need for more education about the potential oral effects of breast cancer therapies and providing the best possible care for the patients undergoing breast cancer treatment. Preventing and controlling oral complications can help the patient continue with the cancer treatment and have a better quality of life. Preventive care before the cancer treatment begins with treating the problems as soon as they appear with fewer complications cancer treatment may work better and patient may have a better quality of life.
MANAGING ORAL SIDE EFFECTS at Japjee family dental clinic we support the patient through the journey of the breast cancer. Some regular tips are
- Regular dental checkups
- Maintaining good oral hygiene
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid irritants and stay away from tobacco, alcohol, spicy foods etc.
- Consider using oral moisturizers or artificial saliva products to remove the symptoms of dry mouth number.
- Take help of a good nutritionist for dietary advice on specific needs.
Before during and after the cancer treatment, the goals are to keep the teeth and gums healthy and manage any long term side effects of cancer and its treatment. Remember, you are not alone in the journey. We are here to provide you the care and support during the treatment. Together we can overcome the challenges and ensure your beautiful smile continues to shine. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach us at 7696 204440