You should not wear dentures at night to keep them stain free and avoid build up of bacteria .It allows your gums to rest.
This is a set of false teeth that replaces your original teeth . These are Removable appliances used to replace missing tooth/ teeth are referred to as removable partial dentures. In cases of loss of teeth due to caries, periodontal or any other reason, failure to replace missing teeth will result in loss of function, form and esthetics. Complete dentures are used to replace complete set of missing teeth either in a single arch or both arches. Complete rehabilitation of missing teeth results in a pleasing appearance and boosts patient confidence.
Post Insertion Instructions in Complete Denture Patients
Explain about individuality of the case:
- From the first appointment, the patient must be given an idea of the final outcome of the treatment.
- An attempt must be made to convince the patient that no matter how meticulously and painstakingly fabricated a denture is an artificial substitute and will never be the same as the natural oral structures.
- Patient is asked not to share his/her feelings and experience with other denture wearers.
Insertion and removal of the denture:
- The dentist must train the patient to insert and remove the denture.
Appearance of the denture :
- Initially the patient will feel strange. He/she will have the feeling of check and lip fullness. The patient may complain that the denture is bulky.
- Here, the dentist must assure the patient that all these are temporary and as the patient gets used to the denture it will be normal.
- Patient will have excessive salivation initially. Patient is asked to avoid pooling the saliva as it can destabilise the denture.
- Patient is advised to have a soft diet initially.
- Patient is advised to have a soft sticky and hard foodstuffs.
- Patient is asked to cut foodstuff into small pieces and chew using the posterior tooth. Patient is asked to chew bilaterally simultaneously.
Maintenance of Hygiene:
- Dentures tend to accumulate more food debris than natural teeth. Hence the patient is asked to clean them after every meal and before retiring at night.
- It is recommended that the patient have two brushes, a denture brush for cleaning the denture and a soft tooth brush to clean the supporting soft tissue.
- Commercially available denture cleaning solutions and tablets can be used.
- Ultrasonic cleaners can also be used.
Storage of Denture :
- Patient is advised to store the denture in water or in a dilute medicinal solution, in an air-tight container.
- Ideally the denture must be placed 8 hours outside the mouth, to provide rest to supporting tissues and reduce the rate of resorption
- Patient is adviced against night wear.
- Patient is advised to avoid mishandling of the denture.
- Isolated sore may develop and patient is advised to visit to the dentist for relining. In severe cases of soreness, patient is advised to discontinue use of prosthesis and consult the dentist urgently.
- Patient is advised not to perform self-adjustments or self-repair on the denture.
Most people take a few months to adjust to wearing dentures. It usually takes a few weeks to feel normal with dentures,till then it may cause little irritation and may feel awkward.
Yes denture can change your appearance and your smile. It can also restore your face to its proper proportions.
It is very important that you keep your mouth clean and healthy.Initially you may feel discomfort while speaking some words and chewing food.
Even with strong mouth and well fitting dentures,some food you should avoid chewing gums ,sticky candies, fruits like guava and pomegranate.